"If the conversation doesn't flow freely between your kids and their grands, consider these ways to jump-start it.
1. What was Daddy like as a kid? What was your favorite thing to do together?
2. How did you and Grandma first meet?
3. What jobs have you had? What was the worst? The best?
4. Whom did you look up to when you were a kid?
5. Can you tell me about the day Mommy was born?
6. What kinds of toys did you like to play with when you were little and what activities did you do for fun?
7. What was your hardest chore as a kid?
8. Did you or Grandpa play a musical instrument or a sport? Were you good at it?
9. In what ways are you and I the most alike?
10. Did my mom give you any trouble as a kid? Can you tell me a story about it?
11. How did your family celebrate the holidays when you were a child?"
~taken from Parents Magazine, pg. 183, Sept. 2014